A wainscoting panel is a surface layer that covers an area. Wainscoting has always been a very versatile option when it comes to building, decorating or remodeling facades, floors, walls, ceilings, etc. Today this trend is making a comeback, returning to more natural-looking designs both for indoors and outdoors; an innovative, fresh, and sustainable concept.
However, it is important, when selecting the wood and the type of panel, to take into account its durability and of course its aesthetics since it must harmonize with the whole look and be suitable for the location where it will be placed.
5 main types of wainscoting panels
These are some of the most commonly used wood panels in construction design.
- Solid wood panels: they are sheets made of tree trunks that can be used varnished, painted or natural for indoors and outdoors. When it comes to raised panels, these are an excellent option, as well as for covering walls and floors. In some designs of these panels, you can appreciate overlays, boards, and ribbons.
- Fibers: they are medium to high-density boards made from pressed wood fibers at very high temperatures that have been joined with synthetic resins. They are used more for wall paneling since water wears them out. Its use is recommended for indoor use only.
- Natural wood veneer: this type of panel is also used indoors and it is because a natural wood veneer is placed on top of the wood support, so it is not recommended to install it as interior paneling. It’s easy to take care of and beautifies the spaces in a natural way. The flat panel, in this type of panels, is spectacular on floors.
- Sandwich panel: these panels are made up of a center of insulating material, a lower panel of plaster, wood and an upper panel of wood or some derivative thereof. They are appropriate panels to preserve the acoustics inside the house.
- Wood-cement panels: the composition of these panels is based on wood particles and a cement composite material, so they are quite durable, but also flexible. It is mainly used outdoors or for kitchen coating.
In Charlotte, NC, these and other types of wainscoting panels are used in construction, but without a doubt, solid wood panels are the most used.
For remodeling, it is best to put yourself in the hands of the experts. At Dream Home Builders and Remodelers we will advise you on everything you need.